Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Biscuit's Sweater is finished just in time

.



back of sweater, chain buttonhole loops are on the belly wraps on the inside


Man alive, just in time, its cold and windy today. I bought a sweater kit for biscuit from Lion Brand Yarns (pattern # 80100M-L, SoHo Cables It comes with the pattern and yarn Wool Ease, all for $6.96. Its an easy pattern but its definitely for small dogs. Biscuit weighs 13 lbs and although I knitted the size Medium, I had to make it as long as the Large and widen the belly band even bigger than the large. But then, maybe its my dog? He's so fuzzy its hard to fit him because you never know if you're measuring fluff or body. I've written notes all over the pattern, next time I'll make him a large. And I'm going to make it on the LK 150, definitely it can be made on it. It could be made on any machine but I like Wool Ease for this, its warm and breathes better since it has wool in it. The belt band calls for 18 stitches each side of the center piece for size medium, large calls for 22 stitches. I used 24 stitches. I knitted and knitted and knitted thinking I was finished, I would take it off the needles and try it on him and it was still too short. Finally I finished it, tried it on him and unraveled the bottom yet again. I added 3 more inches to the bottom ribbing and really it could still stand some more length. The belly band could have been wider, I did widen it some but didn't want it too wide for a boy. With all that said, I love the sweater. .

BTW, I laid the sweater near him so he could smell it and I just now went to get it and put it on him and doggone, he's chewed one of the beautiful wooden buttons I bought for it. (Hobby Lobby buttons). Guess I'll go find some plastic ones in my button box.

picture of inside, piece goes over head, down chest and around belly" Awesome design, I never would have thought of designing one that fits like this.

Its not going to keep him super warm in a really cold environment but I'm one of those who thought God gave dogs enough fur to keep them warm. Unfortunately, I don't know if that's true for a Maltese, especially if their hair is kept short.
He has a bare little pink belly. So I have also bought him a Sherpa coat for visiting colder climates.

Puppy 2


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roz!!! I am from Brazil!! I like yours costumes.I don't speak and write very weel in English.I liked the dress of dog and also liked BJS,made to the machine.Control mine email to be able to change mensagers:rozangelaspinelli@yahoo.com.br Kiss,Rozângela.

Dagmar said...

Hi Roz,
I love Biscuit's coat. That pattern would be perfect for our fur baby. Unfortunately, I cannot find it on the LB web site. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dagmar