Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Fixing Windows Live Email's annoying problem

I just bought 2 Win 7 computers and both have Windows Live as the default email client.   The problem I've had with both computers and this software was, every time I type an apostrophe or quote symbol I got wierd symbols in their place.   I found a fix for the new desktop but when I got my laptop, I couldn't find the fix again.  Finally today I persisted in my search until I did find the fix.   If anyone reading this blog has the same problem, I thought I'd save you the search....here's the fix:

This seems to be a problem for people using Windows Live for their email client with Win 7:

Here's the fix if anyone else has the problem and wants to eliminate it forever.

[4] At HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Compose\Preferences\PostEditor\Autoreplace, set the data for SmartQuotes to 0 (thanks as usual to Peter.R for the fix).

If you're not used to editing the registry, it's best to be very careful so you don't wreck something. Start by setting a restore point:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-restore-point

Then:
1. With WLMail closed, type regedit into the start search box and press Enter. Give permission where necessary.
2. In the left hand pane, navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Compose\Preferences\PostEditor\ Autoreplace
and click on Autoreplace.
3. In the right-hand pane, double-click on each of the four Names where the Type column reads REG_DWORD. In each case, type 0 into the Value data box and click OK. Press F5 and then close the window.
4. Launch WLMail and test.
It worked for me, TG I found this, it was driving me crazy!!!

1 comment:

teethwhitening said...

I am impressed by the quality of information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit this blog again soon.